One document we came across at The National Library of Wales, was a summary of the cause at Hermon Chapel, written towards the end of the 1890’s by the
Reverend R. Jones. This gives us some indication of what Mynydd was like in those times.
In 1843, Lord Penrhyn began giving leases for parts of the mountain. The quarrymen took advantage of this and began building houses and working the
land. This resulted in “a pleasing and pretty village”.
On the 1st of December 1843, many of the faithful met at Rowland Williams’ house (Penllyn), in order to form a Sunday School. On the 10th of December 1843, the first Sunday School was held at Gwaen Cynfi, with 30 to 35 people present.
The first Hermon Chapel was opened 14th December 1845, measuring 11 yards (33metres) long by lOyards (30metres) wide — pretty small!
Another interesting piece of information we have come across is that the eight Tai’r Mynydd cottages, used to be called Octuple in 1841. These now have been buried under the quarry. The annual rent for each cottage was £2.2.0.
Our intention is to have an exhibition in the Neuadd to display all the information we have gathered to date. We have made a survey of St. Ann’s Churchyard and have recorded all the graves there, plus have census results from 1841 to 1911 for all the cottages and houses in Mynydd Llandegai.
There is plenty of other information too, that gives insight into past village life, plus photographs of people and places.
The information regarding the exhibition will be advertised in the Newsletter at a later date.